As music production evolves throughout the years, the opportunities for music producers, musician and artists are also continuing to boom with endless possibilities. Back in the days, it was quite harder to make money unless you?re signed under a label or have big-time connections in the music industry.
Here are top 5 ways on how to make money as a music producer:
1. Sell beats or royalty free music
Selling your beats through your website or Soundcloud can bring in extra cash. For the past few years, there has been a surge of music producers and beat makers who sell ?type beats? to independent singers, artists and rappers.
Most of them are making a living selling instrumentals on their websites and other platforms while using social media to market their digital products. Beats, loops, samples and other music you create are great products to sell online ? you create them once, then sell them over and over again.
And according to people in this industry, there?s good money in there. It?s been calculated that the beat selling market generates at least $20 million in revenue every year. If you weren?t sure it?s possible to make a living selling beats, you shouldn?t doubt it anymore.
2. Make a YouTube Channel
Putting time and effort in your YouTube channel pays back ? literally. If you have your own YouTube channel with a decent follower base, you should start making money off it. Uploading your beats on YouTube and running a channel with a consistent upload schedule will not only grow your portfolio but your business as well.
On top of that,you can also do music producer vlogs or behind-the-scenes content which your followers might like. Plan out your branding strategy and be unique enough in order to stand out from the rest.
Either upload one video and hope it will go viral, or you can regularly upload new videos and make them collect those views together. Your goal is to reach 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 watch hours before you can monetize your channel. Once you?ve reached these milestones, you will then be qualified to monetize
3. Offer your services online as a Music Producer
Another way to make money as an independent music producer is by selling your services and skills, such as:
- Upwork? Formerly known as oDesk, this freelancing website is the biggest and fastest-growing marketplace which caters to millions of freelancers and clients around the globe. Due to an overwhelming number of applications, Upwork is very selective when it comes to welcoming freelancers onto their platform. In order to get your account approved, make sure to you create an impressive profile and portfolio. Take the required tests based on your skills to increase your chances of getting hired.
- Fiverr? One of the most popular sites for creative freelancers, Fiverr lets you offer services for as low as five dollars. When starting out, you can offer cheap services for basic music production gigs like creating a 30-second custom instrumental with 1-2 instruments. Later on, you can add extra fees for longer lengths and additional work, but make sure to offer your premium services for what it?s really worth. Don?t be afraid jack the price up when you need to.
- Website ? Get your own website is always a best option. Get a domain name for your website from an array of top domain registrars such as GoDaddy, Bluehost and Hostgator. Your domain name should be consistent with your brand.
The final step is to choose your website hosting service. Here are some of the top hosting services to pick from, made exclusively for beat makers:
- Beatstars ? The most popular among producers, with free and paid account options.
- Airbit? Formerly known as myFlashStore, this online marketplace almost has the same features but you can maximize the forums where you get to interact with fellow producers.
4. License your music as a Music Producer
One of the most lucrative field to add to your list is music licensing for TV and film. Awesome, right? But how does it work? Basically, you make instrumental cues or songs with vocals that could work for TV or film, pitch them to music libraries and wait until you get signed to be part of their catalog.
Here are a couple of music licensing websites worth checking out:
- Crucial Music ? Running their music catalog for almost a decade, Crucial Music connects artists, composers and songwriters to licensing opportunities for blockbuster films, Emmy winning shows and big brand spots. This library is very selective, so you have to make sure that what you?re submitting is at par with what you hear on TV, film and commercials. You can submit your music here but you?ll have to be patient because it usually takes them a month before you get a reply, probably due to a handful of applications they receive on a daily basis.
- Marmoset ? Another library which meticulously curates music for licensing. This company prides itself in terms of selecting music from rare and emerging artists, bands and record labels.
5. Put your music in all streaming
Another way to earn while you sleep ? streaming royalties! If you?ve established your brand as a beat maker, you can double your income by also making music for a fan base. This time around, you?re no longer working behind the scenes but at the forefront ? you are the main artist.
For starters, you can take advantage of these music distribution services depending on your needs:
- Distrokid ? For only $19.99 a year, you can upload an unlimited number of songs and albums. Distrokid also features an automated system for royalty splits if you?re releasing music as a collaboration with other artists.
- Tunecore ? Although this distribution company charges more, they are more transparent when it comes to your earnings, reports and analytics.
Comment your thoughts on how to Make Money as a Music Producer
Now that I?ve given you some tips to make money as a music producer, it?s time for you to explore. Prior to what many people say, thanks to the internet it?s possible to make a full time living as a music producer.
Let me know which monetization method you decide to pursue? Or maybe you have one which I didn?t mention here. Let me know in the comment section below.
How much money does a music producer make?
the average salaried?music producer?earns about $60,000 per year. Since?music?production is a field that attracts a small crowd of very high earners, it’s often tough to put an ‘average’ figure on a?music producer’s?salary.
Different Ways to Make Money as a Music Producer ?
1. Sell beats or royalty free music
2. Make a YouTube Channel
3. Offer your services online
Who is the richest music producer?
10.T-BONE BURNETT- NET WORTH $15 MILLION
9.THE NEPTUNES- NET WORTH OF $155 MILLION
8.BUTCH VIG- NET WORTH OF $60 MILLION
7.PHIL SPECTOR- NET WORTH OF $100 MILLION